Parents WWYD Comment overheard by coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lale

Proud Parent
First time poster here! My dd just recently made a gym switch and while the switch was peaceful and dramaless, we are realizing that the previous gym did a terrible job with teaching form. My dd is realizing this at this new gym and is feeling particularly sensitive. Also, while our previous gym didn't do the best job with form, they did a wonderful job nurturing and encouraging the gymnasts.

Our new gym has a great atmosphere, and I think it is going to be a good fit in the long run. However, this past week my dd had a spectacular wipe out on one of their rotations (she wasn't hurt and it really was funny) but she was really embarrassed especially in front of new girls and coaches, and really the entire gym. After the wipe out she overheard one of the coaches laughingly ask the other coach with her if she saw my dd faceplant. The coach didn't realize that she was overheard.

Normally I can be pretty laid back. At our previous gym I trusted the coaches to do the right thing by my daughter. But I know how senstive my daughter is feeling right now, and I am feeling like the coach should have been a little more careful. Should I bring it up with the coach or just let it go? I'm totally willing to let it go, and in the future once she has built trust with my daughter, I believe these types of comments wouldn't be as hurtful.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

def let it go. esp if it was funny and she knows that. I'd even encourage her to look at it from the perspective of "hey, I must fit in now if the coaches know that they can all joke with/about me!"

Laughing at oneself and appreciating when others laugh either with or at you (as long as it truly was funny and she wasn't hurt!) builds good character and resilience!

I would let it go as well. DD is also in the process of adjusting to a new gym and I don't think making waves right away is a good way to start off unless it's something really serious.

In my experience sometimes coaches make lighthearted comments and jokes about falls, even scary ones. I think that part of the reason for this is to keep things lighthearted and to not freak the kids out. If the coach freaks out and acts terrified, the kid could very well be terrified to do the skill again. So sometimes a light joke or funny comment to keep the atmosphere light and make sure the kids realize that falling happens in gymnastics and it doesn't meant they should be afraid to do the skill again.

I'd let it go! My daughter, her teammates, and the coaches all joke and tease each other about their "fails." Doesn't sound like it was meant to be hurtful.

Thanks everyone. I know I just needed to get it off my chest and get some perspective. My daughter has experienced a lot of change and upheaval with gym related stuff lately (not just related to the actual gym change) so it has been tricky navigating these changes with her. I hope that in a few months she will be laughing with the coaches and the other gymnasts over her wipeouts!

I should also add that had the coach included my daughter in the joking, I think it would have gone over a lot better with my daughter. She loves a good laugh and is very fun loving. Instead i think she felt like she was being made fun of since she wasn't supposed to hear it.

Reactions: sce
Well, it sounds really funny and it is normal to laugh at stuff like that. Heck, everyone falls in gymnastics - that is part of the sport. Even our coaches fall sometimes - and one has told me she expects the girls to laugh at her like she laughs at them when they fall (not hurt falls, but funny falls). Sometimes they even run over to the video that is on a delay and watch it again and laugh more. You have to laugh at stuff like that - it helps keep the mood light. Hopefully this will help break the ice and build a relationship if they can all laugh about stuff together.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back