WAG Xcel or JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is interesting how it varies so much. At my dd's gym, they compete usag levels 2-10. They also have a rec team that competes with other local teams basically levels 1-4. This year, for the first time, they have added a small Xcel team which I think is considered in between as far as commitment, hours, etc.

However, we are in region 8 and I am learning that many gyms in our area do use Xcel instead of compulsories. Some of their websites even still say prep-op instead of Xcel. Some gyms only compete Xcel and I don't think they have optional gymnasts, so I assume they are not using it to bypass compulsories. Other gyms seem to have both Xcel and compulsory teams and I am don't really know how they are using it. It's all very confusing to me.

As someone who has been paying the meet fees for our team recently, at least in our area, xcel meet fees are almost always higher than compulsory JO and often the same price as for optionals. Does seem interesting now that I think about the stated purpose of Xcel. Some meets charge the lowest price for compulsory, then just a bit (a few dollars) more for bronze and silver; but almost all charge the same for optionals as they do for gold and higher. And I haven't seen any that any level of xcel was less than compulsory.

I don't remember if this has been asked or not but if one of the goals of Xcel is to provide a less expensive track, why do meets charge more for Xcel than compulsory?

I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that Xcel Judges must hold an optional level rating. Optional level rated judges are paid more than compulsory only rated judges. This would increase the amount that an Xcel judge is paid over a compulsory only judge if this is true and would thus increase a meet entry fee.

I did the reg for our gym and the xcel meet fees were the same as the compulsory gymnasts but less than the optionals. At our gym the savings is in hours at the gym so less tuition. I believe our xcels go for 4 hours like my L 7 but for either 2 or 3 days. Not 4. We have a pretty small program pretty big xcel group. A bunch of 2s and 3s a few 4s and 1 optional. We have had quite a few switch to xcel none have ever switched back. It has kept a few in gymnastics that would have quit after L 4. They don't travel greater than 3 hours at the most. All of our gymnasts pay the same meet fees. It keeps the cost down for the smaller groups like my daughters team of 1. It would be really difficult otherwise to pay coach session fees and travel expenses alone. So the only savings for them at our gym is in time and gym fees.

Our gym practices 7.5 hours a week for L3 - L8 and Xcel Gold - Platinum.
We compete against teams that practice the same number of hours or more (especially at the higher levels) and at Y Nationals, we can compete against teams that compete in Y leagues AND in club meets, so they practice club hours (12-20 from what I have seen on their websites).

We use Xcel for girls that have struggled in compulsories... especially older girls - to keep them in gym.
We have one girl that struggled thru an entire season of level 4, especially on bars, due to an inconsistent kip. This year, she is competing Xcel Gold and is our best bar scorer :) It works for her. When she is ready, she will go back and score out of L4 and compete Platinum until she is ready to score out of L5.

My DD did xcel last year. Her gym was being kind IMO letting her do bronze but as she competed through the year and the fruits of labor paid off so did her hunger to do better and work harder. She switched this year to JO, not because it was better but because my daughter wanted to be in the gym more. I was warned that the scoring would be lower and yes. What I see as a parent to be almost perfect floor routine in between an 8.6-8.9. Last yr her floor 8.9-9.5.
I still question if it was the right choice as that mill circle still isn't pretty. My daughter loved helping to make up her routines last year and added to them as she learned new skills. Because she is forced to continue same routine this year she is also learning the art of perfecting the little things and has become more graceful. But this is dependant on your club because I watched other xcel teams do the same routine. And again they looked polished. Our bronze and silver girls do 4 hours. L3 does 7-9 hours and level 4 9-12 so almost double the time.
Last yr my DD was able to participate in other activities. This year Gymnastics is it. Not RT the hours but the cost. We pay almost 100/month more. Team fees and most meets are more as well.
Our xcel girls are great gymnasts. Often looking better than levels. But they also get to play to thier strengths. The question to ask your gym is how they use xcel. Will your DD get a chance to make her routines. Does she want to be in the gym more? What is your financial commitment? I think they are both great for different reasons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back