WAG Let's play fantasy gymnastics!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LadyBugGymnast

Proud Parent
I saw this thread a while back about a hypothetical fantasy gymnast. An "if" situation, like fantasy football and I thought it was interesting! Let's play again.

If you had a super talented gymnast and she was 4/5yo how would you go about her training? Would you compete compulsory or hold her back from competing until level 4/5 and then go straight onto optionals? Would you do TOPS? Share your fantasy training regimine below! You can choose college or elite/Olympics path as well. Just for fun! :)

I agree! It was just an example since that's when level 1/2 starts. Its "fantasy" :) so you can build it any way you want. I'll see if i can find the link to the old thread. Lol it took a while for it to get going...

I would tell her to just have fun.

And especially 4/5 yr olds they need to have fun.

Really depends on the kid - her personality, what she wants.
I've had little kids who are pretty talented but they don't enjoy being in the gym, they want to do other things. For that kid, if they still want to do gymnastics, I'd play lots of games to help them learn a few skills and develop coordination.
Also had little kids who are really talented and really want to learn and pick things up. For that kid, gotta make sure to limit training to once a week, work things that are age-appropriate.

I am going to give her an October 24 Birthday (for the sake of our season). At 4/5, she would be in the Level 3 rec class at the YMCA. In the year that she is 5/6, she would move onto the team in April. She would continue her training. She would be 6 before the start of the season. She would compete L3, but continue training whatever skills her ability dictated. That Summer, she would compete Y Nationals to see where she stacked up amongst the cream of the YMCA crop.
If she truly was super talented, she would start competing L4 when she was 7 (again, still training higher skills). Once she scored out in 2 meets (Late October - End of November), she would move to Level 5 (December meet and 1st January Meet). If she was able to catch onto choreo for L6/L7 routines with at least 2 meets left in regular season, then she could move up again that season. She would compete Championships at whichever level she last competed in the regular season. Since she would be going to Nationals again (and, even if she had to stay L5, she could compete Nationals as high as L7 - because she would OBVIOUSLY have scored high enough to qualify for that as a L5), she would work on her L6/L7 skills and routines when they run them for the Nationals attendees.
Where she ended the season as a 7 year old would affect where she started as an 8 year old. If she had been a L5 at the end, she would start with whichever level she competed at Nationals. She has to score out in 2 meets in a season to move up mid-season. By the end of her 8 yr old seasonal the latest, she would be in Level 8. At Nationals, it would be the first time she was in a Level that awarded a TRUE National Champion (in 2 age groups).
IT would be time to slow her progress some at this point (unless she was top 6 on all events and AA at Nationals). She would most likely stay L8 at least thru the season she was 10 and maybe 11 (To move to L9 at 9 or 10 years old- which she would have the skills for, she would have to finish top 6 on all events at Nationals OR finish top 3 AA.
Starting at the age of 8, she would also attend Gymnastics Summer Camp (think IGC or something similar) for 2 weeks.
By the age of 11 (at the latest), she would be competing L9. HC would allow her to compete both YMCA andUSAG because our district doesn't have much competition at L9. At Y Nationals, L9 compete Directly against L10 and Open in a Championship Division. Since she would also be competing USAG, she could compete State, Regionals, and Easterns.
At the age of 12 or 13, HC would help her get into one of the USAG Club gyms if needed to move up to L10 (Won top 3 at Nationals in her division) or she wanted to leave us so she could go farther. If not, she would continue training and competing for us. At Y Nationals, L9 compete Directly against L10 and Open in a Championship Division.
The end goal if she stayed with the YMCA program would be college, probably as a walk-on who ends up with a scholarship later.
If she went to a private club, the end goal could be either college or Elite.

4 yrs, i'd put her in our local ymca style club. They teach good technique and basics, and have links with the hpc club where they send them at 7 if they're exceptional.

Being in the uk, unless they were elite track at 7 i'd keep them in the low level, low hours, but quality training club. No point doing lots of hours or having to heavily commit, it's only ever going to be fun.

Using my own child's experiences, a lot of times over the years I've felt like my answer here would be "don't enroll".

DD STILL talks about how much "fun" rec was.

She has a lot of fun on team where she is right now, but even still, insists it's a completely different fun. She doesn't want to go back to rec, but says that sometimes a small part of her wishes she'd have stayed rec.

So, I am truly having a hard time making a dream plan for a child, since it's hard to separate our kids' experiences from others.

It's difficult to consider having a kid move more aggressively than she is, given she's happy enough where she is. On the flip side, move any slower getting on team and kids may miss the boat.

So, if a kid seems capable of doing serious gymnastics, then ideally a preteam program should incorporate FUN, and not just form, conditioning, and flexibility. Even if I pay for extra time for my child to get it. It MUST be fun and silly to an extent. In that case, I could see targeting kids at age 4-5 for preteam... TOPS fundamentals and progressions should probably be incorporated into the program, but I don't know that kids need to "do TOPS".

So, 1-2 years of preteam. Compete L3 for fun and experience, but please just one year of it, unless it's truly unsafe to do level 4. Then do L4, then L5, then L6 or L7, depending on readiness. Maybe a repeat year in there if a kid REALLY needs it. But I think moving up each year helps motivate kids as well as coaching staff. Given this type of model, a later kid could start preteam at age 5, do L3 at age 7, L4 at 8, L5 at 9, L7 at 10, and go from there, hitting L10 by freshman year "easily enough" (no, not actually easy).

On the flip side, in a kid who isn't targeted early and/or isn't "serious", then I say find a good YMCA program and go from there. I think truly talented kids would thrive there anyway, and you can always move to a club gym should it be necessary. A part of me wishes my DD would have started in YMCA, rather than a more competitive JO gym... But at the time I'd just chosen the place closest to home. :)

If you had a super talented gymnast and she was 4/5yo how would you go about her training? Would you compete compulsory or hold her back from competing until level 4/5 and then go straight onto optionals? Would you do TOPS? Share your fantasy training regimine below! You can choose college or elite/Olympics path as well. Just for fun! :)

First, I would co-enroll her in dance. My biggest regret of DD's gymnastics career is not making dance a bigger part of her training. Do dance and do a low pressure pre-team. Then one season at L3 for intro to competing and to allow her to fall in love with it. Then L4, L5, L7 and up. At L8 and above, I wouldn't worry about repeating levels.

In other threads, I've mentioned how fun L6 was and that is true. But looking at my own DD, I see now the benefit of that last compulsory level and how it helps with good form. Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have let my DD be rushed through compulsories. But I guess if a kid naturally has good form then a different path would be appropriate.

So far my daughter's path has actually been perfect and I wouldn't change it. Her 3-year gymnastics anniversary will be in June and this is what's she's done so far:

8YO- first walked into a gym
8.5YO- competed xcel bronze
9.5YO- competed xcel silver
10YO- competed 5 &7 (level 7 regionals in 3 weeks from now)

She just turned 11 and is on track to compete 8 next season and *if* she stays on this trajectory will reach level 10 in 8th grade.

I wouldn't change a thing because I love that starting late means her body hasn't had up to 5 extra years of wear and tear, gymnastics is still relatively new to her so still 100% fun, AND gymnastics was totally her choice- not something I started her in so young that she didn't know anything else. I know this path isn't the norm and she was sooooo close to being overlooked due to age (actually she was overlooked at first) but she proves you don't have to start early. So that's my dream plan- that more late starters would have more opportunity.

I used to "fantasize" of a faster moving program than the program my dd's in, with more hours, tops training, skipping levels, dominating the podium. But I'm on the other side of that now.

I have a completely different perspective, having observed nearly every girl who has left my dd's gym has either quit from the intensity, injury or have become gym hoppers never finding the perfect gym.

The gym that makes my dd happy is my fantasy gym. With girls that love one-another, supportive coaches, enough resources with space and time on equipment to allow progress, hours that allow school and a life.

I've started to notice, in respect to talented gymnasts, if they stick-it-out to the end, and the Olympics isn't the goal, then its not where you start its where you end and they all more or less end up in the same spot.

QUOTE="B.Gold, post: 451586, member: 17864"]
The gym that makes my dd happy is my fantasy gym. With girls that love one-another, supportive coaches, enough resources with space and time on equipment to allow progress, hours that allow school and a life.
[/QUOTE]

Especially this.

I am going to give her an October 24 Birthday (for the sake of our season). At 4/5, she would be in the Level 3 rec class at the YMCA. In the year that she is 5/6, she would move onto the team in April. She would continue her training. She would be 6 before the start of the season. She would compete L3, but continue training whatever skills her ability dictated. That Summer, she would compete Y Nationals to see where she stacked up amongst the cream of the YMCA crop.
If she truly was super talented, she would start competing L4 when she was 7 (again, still training higher skills). Once she scored out in 2 meets (Late October - End of November), she would move to Level 5 (December meet and 1st January Meet). If she was able to catch onto choreo for L6/L7 routines with at least 2 meets left in regular season, then she could move up again that season. She would compete Championships at whichever level she last competed in the regular season. Since she would be going to Nationals again (and, even if she had to stay L5, she could compete Nationals as high as L7 - because she would OBVIOUSLY have scored high enough to qualify for that as a L5), she would work on her L6/L7 skills and routines when they run them for the Nationals attendees.
Where she ended the season as a 7 year old would affect where she started as an 8 year old. If she had been a L5 at the end, she would start with whichever level she competed at Nationals. She has to score out in 2 meets in a season to move up mid-season. By the end of her 8 yr old seasonal the latest, she would be in Level 8. At Nationals, it would be the first time she was in a Level that awarded a TRUE National Champion (in 2 age groups).
IT would be time to slow her progress some at this point (unless she was top 6 on all events and AA at Nationals). She would most likely stay L8 at least thru the season she was 10 and maybe 11 (To move to L9 at 9 or 10 years old- which she would have the skills for, she would have to finish top 6 on all events at Nationals OR finish top 3 AA.
Starting at the age of 8, she would also attend Gymnastics Summer Camp (think IGC or something similar) for 2 weeks.
By the age of 11 (at the latest), she would be competing L9. HC would allow her to compete both YMCA andUSAG because our district doesn't have much competition at L9. At Y Nationals, L9 compete Directly against L10 and Open in a Championship Division. Since she would also be competing USAG, she could compete State, Regionals, and Easterns.
At the age of 12 or 13, HC would help her get into one of the USAG Club gyms if needed to move up to L10 (Won top 3 at Nationals in her division) or she wanted to leave us so she could go farther. If not, she would continue training and competing for us. At Y Nationals, L9 compete Directly against L10 and Open in a Championship Division.
The end goal if she stayed with the YMCA program would be college, probably as a walk-on who ends up with a scholarship later.
If she went to a private club, the end goal could be either college or Elite.
I went thru and calculated the total number of training hours (including at camps) plus the basic costs (gym time, camp fees, competition fees, required competition gear, and Y membership) for the first 8 years of training... Assuming an April start.
In 8 years:
2700 hours... That is an average of 337.5 hours a year or a little over 28 hours a month.
$22,000... Or an average of $2750 a year or just under $230 a month. This includes a total of 12 USAG meets outside of the YMCA meet schedule, including States x 2 years and Regionals and L9 Regionals x 1 each. It also includes 4 very expensive gymnastics camps (more than what it costs for 2 weeks at IGC), so it could easily actually cost even less

First, I would co-enroll her in dance. My biggest regret of DD's gymnastics career is not making dance a bigger part of her training. Do dance and do a low pressure pre-team. Then one season at L3 for intro to competing and to allow her to fall in love with it. Then L4, L5, L7 and up. At L8 and above, I wouldn't worry about repeating levels.

In other threads, I've mentioned how fun L6 was and that is true. But looking at my own DD, I see now the benefit of that last compulsory level and how it helps with good form. Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have let my DD be rushed through compulsories. But I guess if a kid naturally has good form then a different path would be appropriate.
I wish my daughter would consider incorporating dance into her gymnastics training. Two days a week she goes to a performing arts after school program where she is practicing piano and doing art but was originally there for dance and ballet before moving on to gymnastics. The head of the school so wants her to add some dance. My daughter is stuck on the fact that her current floor is set compulsory so she doesn't see the need. We keep trying every now and again.

In fantasy land I would have DD in Tops program and be at an elite level gym. she is super focused and aggressive. She wants more - more - more gymnastics. Just turned 9 working toward Lv 8.
I like that she is young- she can reach high level early and then if she decides to go to school sports (track, basketball, volleyball, etc) she will developed some amazing character, confidence, sense of accomplishment, and some major strength / flexibility that will carry over into all other activities.

I used to "fantasize" of a faster moving program than the program my dd's in, with more hours, tops training, skipping levels, dominating the podium. But I'm on the other side of that now.

I have a completely different perspective, having observed nearly every girl who has left my dd's gym has either quit from the intensity, injury or have become gym hoppers never finding the perfect gym.

I've started to notice, in respect to talented gymnasts, if they stick-it-out to the end, and the Olympics isn't the goal, then its not where you start its where you end and they all more or less end up in the same spot.

Totally. This is all stuff I think everyone would have in their dream plan. Actually, this should be reality- not a dream!

So far my daughter's path has actually been perfect and I wouldn't change it. Her 3-year gymnastics anniversary will be in June and this is what's she's done so far:

8YO- first walked into a gym
8.5YO- competed xcel bronze
9.5YO- competed xcel silver
10YO- competed 5 &7 (level 7 regionals in 3 weeks from now)

She just turned 11 and is on track to compete 8 next season and *if* she stays on this trajectory will reach level 10 in 8th grade.

I wouldn't change a thing because I love that starting late means her body hasn't had up to 5 extra years of wear and tear, gymnastics is still relatively new to her so still 100% fun, AND gymnastics was totally her choice- not something I started her in so young that she didn't know anything else. I know this path isn't the norm and she was sooooo close to being overlooked due to age (actually she was overlooked at first) but she proves you don't have to start early. So that's my dream plan- that more late starters would have more opportunity.

My daughter started at 8. :) Did some rec classes before that (off and on), but nothing serious until March of 2014.

My dd is living her fantasy. I would change nothing. And at 4 she was on preteam. She says she has just as much fun as the first day she set in the gym. In fact, she says that right now, she is having MORE fun, because she is doing things she never dreamed were possible.:D
....so I guess my answer is I would change nothing. I never asked for my child to join team, she found her own way. I never cared. To be honest (haven't seen anyone else write this, but someone out there has got to feel this way), I don't really like the sport, it stresses me the hell out.:confused: So perhaps, knowing what I know now, I would steer my child away from the sport and into something else! Bahaha!!!:rolleyes:

Just gonna throw this out there: Fantasy gymnastics, for me, would be a sport where they could pursue high aspirations that did NOT consume every waking moment of their (ok, truth, MY) life! My gymmie isn't burning out, but I sure am!
To the op, not sure if you're talking about your child or whoever, but just a word of caution; be careful what you wish for! I was once a starry eyed parent with an exceptionally talented little gymmie that wanted nothing more than to see her fulfill her dreams of her name in big lights, or at least that was my thoughts. Turns out, she doesn't want her name in bright lights, she literally wants to battle daily with gymnastics. She's not in it for fame, she's in it for passion. Another truth: it's not the skills that worry me, it's this brutal ongoing fist fight that she loves that scares the mess out of me! So in fantasy land, this struggle wouldn't exist for my 10 year old, or any age for that matter. As for her earlier years, wouldn't change a thing. Walking on to Preteam/semi-TOPS from a rec gym at 5.5, L3 after her birthday, and TOPS the summer after she turned 7, then a fall season of L4, spring of L5, more TOPS that summer into the fall, and picking up in L7 in the spring, was great! That was about a year ago. Not sure how to classify this last year to 18 months just yet.. She is doing fine and progressing nicely, but I absolutely hate the intensity of it all!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back