Parents Competition line up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

R

Rumjello

Hello all!
Just wanting to get some input here. DD on sanctioned competition team. DD has been made to go first on beam a few times. Though she is no Olympian, she is not horrible. She's had a solid beam routine this whole season and hasn't fallen off one time. There are a couple girls that score higher than her but she's around a 9.2 as an average. Why would her coach continue to make her go first? There are 4 other girls that go after her and fall repeatedly, or do not do a better beam routine. What is the reasoning behind this? I'm very frustrated by this and feel that it affects her AA score everytime.

I honestly wouldn't read too much into this. It may just be that your DD's coach has faith in her and wants a strong beamer to go first and start the team on a positive note. My DD was a very strong beam worker as a compulsory and often wanted to go first so she wouldn't be affected if one of her teammates fell. In reality, it probably isn't really having any affect on her AA score. Somebody has to go first for very team.

I honestly wouldn't read too much into this. It may just be that your DD's coach has faith in her and wants a strong beamer to go first and start the team on a positive note. My DD was a very strong beam worker as a compulsory and often wanted to go first so she wouldn't be affected if one of her teammates fell. In reality, it probably isn't really having any affect on her AA score. Somebody has to go first for very team.

I agree with this. Also, I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but our lineup doesn't change throughout the season, the only thing that changes is which event we compete first, so it's not a personal thing for us, just the way things fall. That means though, that if we start on vault at every meet or several meets, the same kids will go first on vault, the same will go first on bars, etc.

Thanks for the positive spin on that. I was thinking the coach was trying to sabotage DD, since there is no communication at all. None in the last 3 years we have been at this gym. It's very weird.

The coaches change the line up every time. They look to see who's in the lead for AA and manipulate the line up. It's usually for one certain girl. Or so it seems. Myself and the rest of the parents feel that our girls are taking a hit so the "chosen one" can score high. The scores build as they go. We are very frustrated

I guess it really doesn't matter. DD is happy where she is at. I have read those threads on crazy gym moms and maybe, just maybeo_O lol

From what little I know, coming off the beam can be contagious. If the first two gymnasts don't stay on the beam, the rest may follow in their footsteps. For our level 5 team competition, coach had the team sit with their backs to the beam so that the ones who hadn't gone couldn't see the action. Only after a gymnast finished was she allowed to watch her teammates. So, for beam, going first may be a reflection of the coach's trust in your DD's ability to deliver a solid routine.

But, no communication for 3 years? That's a separate issue. I would not be happy with that kind of environment.

My DD frequently goes first on everything. I started getting paranoid about it at one point last year (even though her and 1 other girl on our team go back and forth over who has the highest AA on the team) and then I asked her why she went first all the time. She said, "Cause mom I like to go first! Then I don't have to sit there and get nervous watching everyone!" Now that we are in our 2nd competition season (which is almost over THANK god as I am on the verge of burnout:eek:) I have come to notice that our coach never puts our weakest girls up first. It is always one of the stronger ones at the beginning and the end.

Thanks for the positive spin on that. I was thinking the coach was trying to sabotage DD, since there is no communication at all. None in the last 3 years we have been at this gym. It's very weird.

And coaches wonder why some parents go all CGM. A lack of communication leads people to fill in the blanks and look elsewhere for answers to their questions. It's unfortunate that some gyms choose to operate in this manner. Good luck to your DD!

Many coaches do set up the line up. Many will aim to put the gymnast who is the most steady and consistent first, they give the team a good start. If the other girls see the first girl falling off it can be catching.

Many coaches will put the highest scoring girls last too.

I do my beam line up starting with who I think is most likely to stick and work my way down to who I think is least likely to stick. Then I hope that sticking is contagious.

It could be that they want a strong start on beam and your dd is that. Or it could be like in my situation where my dd requests to go first on beam at every meet. Coach finally got it and just puts her there and she is happy. Heck one time she requested first on every event. The parents around me were mad for me, but I was laughing because I know my dd and the more she waits the worse it is going to be. She had a great meet.

I agree with the others about the possibility that the coach wants to get a solid routine to start. Have you asked your DD if the coach has said anything about the line up? My DD's coaches usually ask them who wants to go first and my DD, like my4buffaloes' DD, always wants to go first to get it over with. I don't think it has affected her scores any.

When my DD was in compulsories, I would have sworn on my left kidney that lineup affected score. Now, not so much. I've seen first ups win as well as last ups. My DD scores what she scores and it doesn't matter what order she goes in.

I about drove myself crazy last year with the lineup thing. When I was complaining about it one day, my DD looked at me like I was insane and told me that she always asked if she could go first because she's excited to get started and wants to go! So I shut up.....

I highly doubt that her coach wants to sabotage anybody. It's their job to produce good gymnasts with good scores and if not for the good of our kids, at least for job security! I've always assumed that they try different things to see what works best. My DD gets really nervous and has little confidence on beam. If she saw someone fall before her, she probably would too. In fact it happened last weekend. I'm sort of glad when they put her first so she doesn't have to sit there nervous for too long.
If she gets a proper warm up, I doubt the order has anything to do with her overall AA score.

Sometimes DD's gym does it by reversing AA scores at the previous meet, but if they are starting on beam, they usually will put someone up first who's going to stick. Unfortunately, that is often DD, who hates going first. I think the meets where they start in a different place in the order for every event are good -- that way no one has to have that first or last spot every time.

Last year at states, the coaches had the boys compete on every event from lowest to highest score on that event at the previous meet. That was maddening for the parents who were trying to predict when their boys were going to be up! I hope they don't do it again this year!!

Last year at states, the coaches had the boys compete on every event from lowest to highest score on that event at the previous meet. That was maddening for the parents who were trying to predict when their boys were going to be up! I hope they don't do it again this year!!

Do you compete as a team at State? We are all separated out by age groups, so only a few girls are actually in the same session. My DD is the youngest in her level by 2 years, so I already know she'll be competing alone. Rather lonely...

For the previous two years the boys competed as a full team, though this year, they will be split into two different sessions for L5 (four in the very young group and five in the middle group). We don't know yet how it will work for the girls -- they haven't figured out the age breaks -- but I'd guess they'll be spread across three or four sessions. DD will probably have one teammate with her in her session. But for both boys and girls, there's a team award after the last session.

As an aside, I don't know what's up with L5 for boys this year in our state. It's weird. The meet we were just at had 99 level 5 boys competing and only a handful of level 6s. Last year, there were only about 70. Same thing at a couple of other meets.

I was thinking the coach was trying to sabotage DD, since there is no communication at all.
Why assume that? If you have reason to doubt the coaches in that way, you should probably either talk to them and clear up your doubts, or find a gym where you trust the coaches.

It makes very little sense for a coach to sabotage gymnasts, as the performance of their gymnasts at meets is a form of marketing. Consistently performing well will attract other people that are looking for a gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back