Parents Competition line up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And I am NOT justifying my daughter's ability wether it be poor or great. You do not know me but feel the need to project your feelings into this thread. The point is...if a coach cant treat all the children equally then there is no team. There is no "I" in team right? Oh wait! You still need those other girls to take the hit so your superstar can score high. Right? lol....

And it IS my business when I'm paying almost 5 grand a year for this crap. Kick my DD off the team? Why? Cause they are busted? Caught lying and swindling people? Bring it on and they can speak to my lawyer. Now you can put that feather in your hat sister. Coach or not, Don't you ever think you have the right to attack me personally. You better get it straight

16070-aftermarket-r93-r8-barrels-%96-major-safety-concerns-alarmed-popcorn-smiley.png

There is such a thing as good coaches and bad coaches. Figure out which category you fit into. And with that, I'm going to go watch some TV with the husband, who also pays for this scam

I have no doubt that you are right and the judges are in on this scam too! You should run from that gym fast. Probably once she gets away from this superstar she will score much higher once she is given her rightful place in the line up. Then hopefully the 5 grand will be worth it.

My DD had to go first on beam at her last meet in the first rotation too. Somehow she not only won beam, she had the highest score of the entire session. Actually I think it ended up being the highest beam score of the entire meet. I figure she could have gotten a 10 if she hadn't had to go first.

But on the other hand she is really terrible on bars, but she went almost last in the line up on bars and in the last rotation. She again won that event and had the highest score of the meet on any event. Its a good thing she went last because she probably would have gotten a pretty low score otherwise. I don't think the judges can really tell the difference between a 8.775 bar routine and a 9.775 bar routine. They just keep adding tenths the later you go in the line up. But don't worry I was sure to thank her teammates for taking a hit so she could get such a good score. They were okay with it because they know what I had to do to get her that lineup position!

And it IS my business when I'm paying almost 5 grand a year for this crap. Kick my DD off the team? Why? Cause they are busted? Caught lying and swindling people? Bring it on and they can speak to my lawyer. Now you can put that feather in your hat sister. Coach or not, Don't you ever think you have the right to attack me personally. You better get it straight

Whoa! I don't think anyone is attacking you! The veteran posters on this board may be direct and to the point, but they are very well meaning and have great insight to share. Please stick around and learn about this crazy awesome sport that your dd is involved in.

As to your original post. I don't think line up has anything to do with scoring...IF the judges are doing their job. (And most do. They are mostly moms and dads, too, you know, and love kids, or they wouldn't be doing this) If your dd does not feel comfortable with going first, a talk is in order with your coaches. In fact, from what you have stated, a talk with the coaches is WAY overdue. Remember, you are paying them for a service. You have a right to communication. I hope things turn out well, as I think you stated you don't have many other options should you want to change gyms. Is your dd happy where she is? That would be my biggest concern. Good luck!!

Honestly, I think you are taking the entire situation too personally. It sounds like you have some valid problems with this gym, but they're getting lost in your focus on competition order and other things. To the point where I'm not completely certain if you're serious or you're just trolling the board.

If you're serious, then it sounds like there are some problems but if there aren't any other gyms I'm not sure what you can do (other then attempt to befriend the coaches). This is the reason I don't socialize with the parents or accept any offers (like when they want me to go out to dinner with them at meets, etc). I had another coach who to me shows major favoritism issues tell me this is " rude" to not accept these offers because those parents WANTED to blah blah blah so I do believe it happens. But there's no changing done people.

So in that spirit the best advice that can be offered is one I read the other day in a great article about the problems with parenting children so they never experience disappointment or discomfort: prepare your child for the road, not the road for your child. In the end your child will benefit more from working and earning it than if you tried to pave/buy the road for her with privates and drinks for the coaches. And those benefits in adulthood are why you are providing her with gymnastics, not so you can say your child is the best.

If you're that unhappy with this gym/coaches/etc... Why not find another gym already??? Don't take this the wrong way but we as parents bring so much unnecessary drama into the gym that sometimes our kids suffer in the end. No one is attacking you here so no need to be defensive, they are just trying to help you and many others, understand the crazy world of gymnastics.

Last edited:
And I am NOT justifying my daughter's ability wether it be poor or great. You do not know me but feel the need to project your feelings into this thread. The point is...if a coach cant treat all the children equally then there is no team. There is no "I" in team right? Oh wait! You still need those other girls to take the hit so your superstar can score high. Right? lol....

LOL!! This thread has turned into pure entertainment value!

I never paid attention to my daughters order in competition and I don't feel order affects placement. I feel like the real issue is that there is a lack of trust in your daughter's coach and it's hard when you feel this way but don't have other options available to you. I can understand this because I have an older daughter who did All Star cheer up until this year and that gym had the same issues. Coaches partying with a few parents and those parents kids being given special treatment. They were on my facebook page and there were pictures every weekend of them partying. My thoughts on this is I don't care what you do on your own time but if I can tell who you are partying with by the way the kids are treated in the gym there is a problem. My oldest decided she no longer wanted to be in that gym environment and is dancing this year instead. Many girl left as a matter of fact. Now my daughter's gymnastics coach also goes out and parties with parents but you can not tell by how the kids are treated in the gym so I have no issues with it.

Now lets see of this thread can calm down a bit before I wade in with the ban hammer and CGM mallet.

Try to get back to civil tones.

To the OP, just a small thought. If you are not done with your gym it probably not the best idea to air these issues here. Many, many families have been tossed out if their gyms for this type of post on the CB.

Always best to approach the coaches first.

It's a sport..... "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:"

Rumjello, I can see that you are very distressed, but what you are doing here is not going to help. The negative speculations you're putting out there are reinforcing your own lack of trust in and suspicions about your gym and the coaches. The audience here includes a lot of experienced parents and coaches, and you're not going to get the validation you want that the beam lineups are a clear indicator of the favoritism and unfairness you perceive in the gym.

If you have such serious suspicions about your coach's decisions regarding your daughter, you should stop posting to this thread and instead make an appointment with the coach to discuss the issue. Random people on the internet can't know what is going on at your gym. You have received a lot of good feedback from experienced parents and coaches about the reasons that lineups look the way they do, some of which may or may not be applicable to your daughter. The only way to know what is going on in your case is to talk to the person making the decisions. If you have other reasons to suspect significant and unfair favoritism and you see this as a symptom of it, then you should probably have that conversation sooner rather than later.

We are fairly new to competing - this is DD's first year. She has done wonderful at some meets (1st AA) and not so wonderful at some (6th AA, only placing on 2 events), but the one thing that has never changed is that she has won beam at every single meet. Sometimes with a high score (9.7), other times with a lower (9.2) score. She has gone first on beam every meet but 1, when she was in he middle. 2 of the meets her group was on beam first as well, so she was the very first kid on beam for the entire meet. One of those meets was when she scored a 9.2, but she still won. DD's coach told us that she knows DD will place on beam, that she has never fallen, and she always has a HUGE smile on her face while doing her beam routine. She likes her to go first b/c it helps the other girls. She also told us that yes, DD's score might be a little lower since she is first, however all the other scores will then be a little lower since the judge knows what she gave DD, and will judge the same for the rest of the kids.

Hi Rumjello, I feel that I need to respond and show you a different perspective on this issue. I am a coach and have heard similar worries from parents at my gym (although not this specific one). The common thread is that they all have to do with distrust in the coach caused by rumors, gossiping, having too much idle time, and presumption. However, parents with concerns have approached me (either in person, by phone, or email) and I was able to explain to them what is really going on. Every time the parent ended up apologizing because much of what they THOUGHT was going on was not at all. It sounds like this may be the case in your situation. I would strongly urge you and other parents to contact your coach at a convenient time for both of you and ask them about the line-up.

Basically, you need to let your coach do his job. It is his job to decide who to put in what order at meets, not yours. Actually, at many of the meets I've been to, I have not been able to choose order at all. As coachp mentioned, it usually comes down to height order (for vault), bar settings, who is too nervous to wait until last, who wants to go first, etc, rather than a true "worst to best" line-up.

I don't believe order makes a difference at all. If your child is great on beam, they will get a great score. Judges do not try to give certain kids lower scores than others. I am assuming your child is in compulsories, yes? Line-up makes absolutely no difference at that point. MAYBE later on in optionals, and that is a big maybe. What you need to understand though, is that the judges do not give a child extra points just because they go last. They take LESS DEDUCTIONS because the child does a better routine than the gymnasts before her. She would get a better score regardless of where she is placed in the line-up. If the last gymnast to go does a poor routine, she will not score higher than the gymnasts who went before her with better routines. People often like to act like judging is so unfair and so subjective, but it really is not that complicated at the lower levels. You could not imagine how many things there are to take deductions on, so just because you think a gymnast did a great routine (i.e., didn't fall) doesn't mean that all the skills were done correctly.

"DD has been made to go first on beam a few times. Though she is no Olympian, she is not horrible. She's had a solid beam routine this whole season and hasn't fallen off one time. There are a couple girls that score higher than her but she's around a 9.2 as an average. Why would her coach continue to make her go first? There are 4 other girls that go after her and fall repeatedly, or do not do a better beam routine. What is the reasoning behind this? I'm very frustrated by this and feel that it affects her AA score every time."

It has absolutely zero affect on her AA score. You should celebrate the fact that she hasn't fallen off the beam! That is a really great accomplishment! As for the girls who go after her and have a worse routine, are they getting way higher scores? If so, then you do not understand judging and these girls must be doing skills correctly despite falls. But I would assume that they are getting lower scores.

"It seems as if the judges hold out for the last girl for high scores. I have been paying attention to this. My daughter scores higher on the floor if she is 6th in line instead of 3rd. I have kept track of the line up. DD scores higher when she is towards the last of the line up."

No. Your daughter scores higher when she does a better routine.

"I really believe the coach manipulates the line up so that "the Chosen ONE" can score higher. Though, all our our girls have their strength and I feel that each deserve a fair shot at winning just as much as the favorite one does. I truly wish that there was a computer generated pick so that the coaches could not manipulate who goes first. That way, each girl is judged on her own ability and not riding on the coat tails of the other girls. Most of us parents are tired of our girls taking the "hit" on those scores."

Let me tell you something. I love all my gymnasts equally, I really do. But a few of them are annoying, or talk too much, or are not good listeners. It is human nature to enjoy the company of some people more than others, and that goes for teachers and coaches as well. Does this have absolutely anything to do with how I coach them? NO. Just because a child annoys me, I do not try to sabotage their gymnastics!! Do you have any idea how hard a coach works to get kids to be good at this sport? It is an endless, sometimes thankless job. I have a kid who farts in my face sometimes when I spot her, so do I teach her incorrect skills as a punishment?! Absolutely not! I teach her to squeeze her buttcheeks more! When we are out on the competition floor, I want every single one of my gymnasts to get a 10! But the reality is that someone has to be the best. Someone has to be the worst. Not all gymnasts are created equal. It sounds like "the chosen one" is better at gymnastics than the other girls in your group, and that is something you need to get over. Maybe next year, YOUR daughter will be the best in the group and people will make up rumors about YOU instead. Some people always have to justify why they/their child is not the best. Don't be one of those people! There is nothing wrong with not being the best right now.

"The favorite is really nothing special. Just her mom party's with the coaches so I guess that leaves the rest of us out of luck. ;)"

WOW excuse me but that just struck a huge personal nerve because the same kind of rumors were spread at my gym about me!! So you say that your coach "party's" [sic] with this mother? And you know this how…because you are there partying as well? NO, you have heard through the grapevine, and whether or not it is true, it is absolutely none of your business who the coach is friends with!! You need to take a big step back and let go of the drama you seem to crave. Otherwise you are on the train to making your child hate gymnastics or being kicked out of the gym with comments like that.

PREACH! :)

Whoa! You sound very defensive. Might you just be my DD coach? LOL. It's a scam. From the line up, to the judging, to coaching. At least at this gym. Now, if you don't operate that way as a coach, then my hat's off to you. But, do NOT condone favoritism because no parent likes it. The ONLY reason this girl scores higher is because she is given privates, and extra practices. Where as the rest of the team are not allowed these things. And I know this to be true because her MOTHER can't keep her mouth shut about it as well as her going out and getting drunk with the coaches.

this is a very sad commentary. and Palmtree is not being defensive. she said "a different perspective". remember, Palm is not there. but our experiences as coaches seem to mirror one another. Palm is telling you what to do.

if this mom IS going out and getting drunk with the coaches, you can't keep your kid in that environment. who knows what else they might be doing in the 'off' hours. geesh...i'd be embarrassed if that was my business. and i don't embarrass easy. :)

Update, Spoke with someone who had a little pull in the gym. ( Since we are not allowed to approach coaches) Mind you, this is not an elite gym, Expressed my concerns and stated we were pulling daughter after season end. Well low and behold! Line up changes! PSHHH...And guess what? Daughter score extremely high...This confirms the scam that has been running at the gym. Not to say all gyms... We are currently looking for another but they are at an hour drive one way. Im so disgusted that adults could actually sabatoge children in this manner. makes me sick to my stomach

rumjello -

From the way you describe what goes on at your gym, it doesn't sound like its a good fit for your family. You have probably made the right decision to move on.

A word of caution though. A single data point of better performance possibly related to the competition order does not make a trend. She could have had a much better week of practice, she could have gotten more sleep, she could have changed just about anything. And yes, maybe the competition order helped her frame of mind.

Good Luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back